Excellence in Fundraising: Eagle Awards
“Associations who are integrating philanthropy into all aspects of YMCA work in North America.”
The Excellence in Fundraising Eagle Awards are presented annually to YMCA Associations who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in YMCA Financial Development. These Associations will have positioned their YMCA in the top group of most important charitable causes in their communities.
Deadline for 2019 Nominations: December 4, 2018
(NOTE: Too late now for 2019 consideration; plan to apply for 2020)
Note: If your YMCA received the Eagle Award prior to 2014 your Y is eligible to reapply providing details of your more recent accomplishments.
Awards in Four Categories*
Categories Based on Association or Branch Operating Budget Size
- $25 million and above
- $10 million - $25 million
- $2 million - $10 million
- Less than $2 million
*Note: The Eagle Award is for truly outstanding achievement. The NAYDO Council retains the right to not present the award if none of the nominees rise to the level of truly outstanding achievement.
- Associations or Branches must be NAYDO Association Members and demonstrate the following criteria:
- Leadership is committed, aligned and personally involved in fundraising.
- All levels of the organization are involved and held responsible for relationship building.
- Everyone (across all positions) promotes philanthropy and can articulate the case for giving.
- Effective communication strategy is in place that both elevates the cause of the Y and communicates the impact that donors' gifts make.
- Board members role in financial development is defined during recruitment and confirmed during orientation. Board demonstrates 100% giving and a majority of Board members are actively soliciting philanthropic support.
- Demonstrate evidence of yearly growth in the annual giving campaign with member involvement as a primary component.
- History of successful capital campaign(s) that address critical needs within their community.
- Endowment program is in place and demonstrates annual growth.
- YMCA follows best practices in fundraising, with an emphasis on peer to peer fundraising.
- YMCA has shared its fund raising excellence and influence with other YMCAs.
- Demonstrate commitment to fundraising and financial accountability standards (i.e. AFP Donor Bill of Rights, Imagine Canada Standards Program, BBB Standards for Charitable Accountability).
- Adherence to YMCA Brand Guidelines in their country of origin.
The Panel of Judges consisting of past Eagle Award winners will convene in December. Award Winners will be notified by the Eagle Award Chair immediately following the judging as will all other applicants. Download the Eagle Award Nomination Form.
Who May Nominate
A supervisor, staff colleague, Y-USA staff, YMCA Canada staff, YMCA Mexico, board member, campaign volunteer or any other interested party with a thorough knowledge of the association’s fund raising record. We also encourage association self-nomination from deserving and perhaps overlooked YMCAs.
Presentation of Eagle Awards/VideoAwards are presented at the Friday Impact Awards Luncheon during the NAYDO Conference. It is expected that an award winning Y already has a delegation registered for the conference. The award winning Y qualifies for ONE FREE REGISTRATION which can be used for reimbursement of someone already registered or for a new registration.
If selected, your YMCA will be asked to be available to participate in the making of a short video presentation that tells your YMCA’s philanthropic story. Participants for the video should/may include a donor,and someone whose life has been impacted as a result of the Y's philanthropic efforts. NAYDO will supply the guidelines and arrange the team to film it. There will be no cost to your YMCA. Your YMCA will receive a copy of the video after the conference. The video serves as your acceptance speech. Links are provided for viewing of past winners' videos.
- View 2018 Award Winner - YMCA of Metropolitan Fort Worth
- View 2018 Award Winner - YMCA of the Triangle Area
- View 2017 Award Winner - YMCA of Greater Indianapolis
- View 2017 Award Winner - YMCA of Greater Spartanburg
- View 2016 Award Winner - YMCA of Snohomish County
- View 2016 Award Winner - YMCA of Greater Rochester
- View 2014 Award Winner - Becket-Chimney Corners YMCA
- View 2014 Award Winner - YMCA of San Diego County
Andy Pierce, CFRE, Eagle Awards Chair
YMCA of Greater Louisville
545 S. 2nd Street
Louisville, KY 40202 USA
Phone: 502 587 2106